Friday, May 11, 2012

So Tired of Being Tired

I  am tired. I can't get through my day without a nap. I get up and help my parents around the house as much as I can, but it is getting old. I know that I have to give my body time to heal, it's been through so much in the last 5 months. I have about 5 weeks, or so, before my chemo will start. Although I have been told over and over that each person's chemo experience is different, it's a very common complaint, the fatigue. It may last a day or two, or be a constant companion. I was exhausted throughout my radiation, so I guess that I will have a similar experience with chemo.

I have 3 radiation treatments left. These are high dose, site specific treatments with a small radiation "seed". Now, the process to get set up for this, at best, was retched. I try to be positive, but I had 2, count them 2 catheters in and another cylinder in my vagina. I saw how big each one was, before it was inserted. None of them were really that big, but my perception of their size, once inserted, was much different. The first catheter, which went in my urethra, felt like it was the size of a Pringles can. Next came the cylinder, which I am sure was actually a coffee can. Last was the catheter in my rectum, and it felt like it was the size of a can of asparagus, coated in glass shards. You may giggle now, I don't mind. It's over and I am not dwelling on it, just sharing the experience. The purpose of all off these "invasions" was to target the radiation. The catheters were used to fill me with a dye that would show up as a contrast on the x-ray. The good news is that when I go back for my actual treatments, all I have to contend with is the cylinder. I will be mentally prepared for it so I don't expect it to be too bad. Also, because these are site specific, I should not have much in the way of side effects. Here's hoping.

I may add to this later, but for now, it's a short post. I think I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment